Sunday, June 8, 2014

Rúna Thorkelsdóttir, 3 bookworks, 1988-2013


Rúna Thorkelsdóttir is an artist, originally from Iceland, now a long time resident of the Netherlands and a partner in the great artists' bookstore, Boekie Woekie (Amsterdam). I asked 
Rúna to comment on these three accordion books of hers and her replies are below:

Barcycling (1988)
I was already making books when I sat in a cafe with friends at a big wooden table. As those wet rings from the glasses added on the table I started to play and made the barcycling drawing in the wetness. Later I made it with ink on a paper-plate and printed the bar cycling booklet. It is just a coincident that it reminds you of Dieter. I was not so very familiar with his works then as I became later. 

Vatnaljod (1988)
Vatnaljod - mean water poem. Vatnahljod - means water sound. Those words rhyme in Icelandic and the wavy background indicates water - waves. I found that fitting to my water poem.


Untitled Harmonica, 2013
I have been printing since I, among others, founded Boekie Woekie 1986, here in Amsterdam. Printing on a Rotaprint offset machine, printing original graphic, that is to say, every colour is drawn on a paper offset plate, there is no existing original the printed image would be a reproduction of. The paper-plates don't print big runs, editions of more than a few hundred are hardly possible, the plates get worn but I have my fun mixing these old stones with newer ones for my flower jungles....I make the accordions since about two years ago, and they are all different and of an unlimited edition. So far I have made about twenty. 




No comments:

Post a Comment